SEO - Search Engine Optimization
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization - or SEO - is a way of improving your website in a way that search engines will reward. Improving SEO can be a daunting task which will require a massive amount of specific knowledge which typically has to be done by SEO professionals.
How to improve SEO?
Search engines e.g. Google, Yahoo and Bing will rank your website on various parameters. To get a better rank in the search results it is important for web editors to make sure that their website lives up to these metrics. A couple of basic examples are:
- Create quality content. If you manage to service your visitors with content that will improve their knowledge you have taken a huge leap towards a better ranking.
- Find out what keywords that are important for your website. These can be used to generate quality content.
- Fill out title tag & meta-description with informative content on every page on your website. The title is what your visitors will se in the browser-tab when they visit your website. It is also displayed in Google's search results as the main title. The meta-description is what Google will use in the search results under the title. So think of these as teasers that will lead searchers to your website.
- Give every image a title & alternative text.
- Optimize your website for all devices using Responsive Web Design. As of 2015 Google rewards pages which are responsive.
Improving SEO is much more than these examples. This is however a good start of improving your rank in the search results. Our Umbraco setup provides you with a user-friendly setup allowing you to get a good start, and we can adapt the solution for SEO professionals if needed.
Blog post about the Manao Software SEO approach
We have contributed to the unofficial Umbraco Christmas Calendar 2015 with a blog post about SEO in Umbraco. The blog post is a deep dive into our approach on the basic SEO controls in Umbraco. Read it here.
Above is an example of how to optimize SEO in a user-friendly way with our SEO package.